Leukemia is a cancer of the bone marrow and blood, characterized by the uncontrolled accumulation of blood cells. Here are a few things that you may not have realized about leukemia:
- It is estimated that nearly 250,000 people in the United States are living with, or are in remission from, leukemia.
- Anyone can get leukemia- it affects males and females of all ages, and the exact cause of leukemia is not known.
- Signs of leukemia may include easy bruising or bleeding, paleness or easy fatigue, recurrent minor infections or poor healing of minor cuts.
- Some people with chronic leukemia may not have any of the major symptoms are only diagnosed during a routine medical examination.
- A leukemia diagnosis requires specific blood tests and an examination of cells in the blood and marrow.
- The goal of leukemia treatment is complete remission, which means that there is no evidence of the disease and the person returns to good health with normal blood and marrow cells.
If you or someone you know is fighting leukemia or any other cancer, please realize that you are not alone.
Awareness Gift Boutique consists of cancer survivors and survivor spouses, and we are also avid awareness supporters of causes that matter, including leukemia. We offer a complete line of exclusive Leukemia Awareness products, consisting of various gifts and apparel such as the shirts shown below. These products all help spread the word about Leukemia Awareness:
Be sure to check back often and see which new items have been added to our Leukemia Awareness department!
The informational content of this blog is intended to convey general educational information and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional healthcare advice.